The 7th Component: Celebrating the Unique Me
Administrator Contact: Vince White, District Principal of Inclusive Education
Parent Consultant: Karen Norquist
Please send your feedback on this core component to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guiding Questions
- Key Actions
- Indicators of Progress
- External Resources / Community Service Providers
- The 7th Component compels a foundational understanding that every student is unique and special in ways that deserve to be celebrated and supported
- This uniqueness compels everyone who is connected to a student with complex needs to appreciate and embrace the many ways in which these differences are richly expressed
- The 7th Component also acknowledges all that is unknown and yet to be discovered in terms of supporting complex learners
- It is a space that is also intended to capture any area of focus that does not fit comfortably into any of the other six components
- To provide students with genuine opportunities to share their strengths, interests and dreams, for now and the future.
- Collect data from parents, school personnel and experts from the field on ways in which supporting a student with complex needs is foundationally situated on who they are as an individual, with a concerted focus on their strengths, interests and dreams.
- Schedule inservice for school personnel aimed at further developing this essential component.
- Meaningfully integrate this component with the work being done on: strengthening the home-school partnerships, designing quality educational plans, supporting student transitions, nurturing social-emotional development and mental health and enhancing professional skillset.
Indicators of Progress
- Collect pre and post data from parents and school personnel who are supporting a complex learner to determine if key actions have resulted in successful outcomes as they relate to supporting student transition.
- Use this information to meaningfully inform key actions for further development of this component in the 2018/2019 academic year.
|Amazing Things Project|
Amazing Things Project Video
Strengthening Home-School Partnerships
Administrator Contact: Vince White Parent Consultants: Amanda Nichol and Kulvir Mann
Keeping Complex Learners Safe
Administrator Contact: Melanie Learoyd Parent Consultant: Cyndi Gerlach School Administrator Consultants: Chanin Smyth & Brenda Bell Learn more
Designing Quality Educational Plans
Administrator Contact: Melanie Learoyd Parent Consultant: Heather Skuse
Supporting Student Transitions
Administrator Contact: Vince White Parent Consultant: Marta Carlucci
Enhancing Professional Skillset
Administrator Contact: Melanie Learoyd Parent Consultant: TBC