Designing Quality Educational Plans
Please send your feedback on this core component to: firstname.lastname@example.org
LST Inservice Presentation
Please click on the image or link below to download the PowerPoint presentation from the recent Secondary LST inservice (November 2018).
Functional Curriculum Resources Review
The Functional Curriculum Resources Review is a 2009 BC CASE project that provides information on resources for instruction in functional and life skills curriculum for BC students in grades 10 -12.
Educational Planning for Complex Learners: Functional Curriculum & Assessment June 2018
This document contains information to help with educational planning for complex learners including: personal, social and intellectual core competency and “modified program” curricular competency resources, as well as links to various provincial outreach programs.
- Guiding Questions
- Key Actions
- Indicators of Progress
- External Resources / Community Service Providers
- How can quality educational plans be designed in a manner that strengthens the home-school partnership?
- What role can the home team and community service providers play in supporting the design of a quality educational plan?
- What role does assessment play in supporting the design of a quality educational plan?
- What is the optimal number of goals that should be focused on at any particular time for a student?
- How can plans be designed to best inform what is happening for a student in the classroom?
- What should progress monitoring look like?
- How can we meaningfully involve the student in this process?
- How can we ensure that complex learners are being meaningfully engaged in academic related tasks to their fullest potential?
- To develop a student IEP in ways that are most meaningful to the student.
- Collect data from parents, school personnel and experts from the field on what constitutes a quality educational plan.
- Schedule inservice aimed at further developing this essential component.
- Develop and implement guidelines aimed at supporting case managers in their design of a quality educational plan.
- Identify ways in which BC’s revised curriculum can be approached in a manner that supports the design and implementation of a quality educational plan.
- Examine and revise as necessary processes related to the development of the IEP and progress reporting in relation to it.
- Meaningfully integrate this component with the work being done on: strengthening the home-school partnership, celebrating the unique me, supporting student transitions, nurturing social-emotional development and mental health and enhancing professional skillset.
Indicators of Progress
- Collect pre and post data from parents and school personnel who are supporting a complex learner to determine if key actions have resulted in successful outcomes as they relate to supporting student transition.
- Use this information to meaningfully inform key actions for further development of this component in the 2018/2019 academic year.
|Learning for All
|This resource offers information, strategies and references for school leaders and teachers working with students with complex needs. This content was collaboratively developed through Learning for All, a one-year community of practice (2014-2015) for district leaders and consultants. Click here to access.|
|Educational Plan Resources|
|A Guide to Adaptations and Modifications
In British Columbia, three principles of learning guide practice in the development of Integrated Resource Packages (IRPs), which contain the provincially prescribed learning outcomes for grades and subjects. These are: Learning requires the active participation of the student; students learn in a variety of ways and at different rates; and, learning is both an individual and group process. For more information, please view A Guide to Adaptations and Modifications.
|Autistic Spectrum Disorder Instructional Support Planning Process
A resource document created by the BC Ministry of Education. For more information, please view the Autistic Spectrum Disorder Instructional Support Planning Process.
|Teaching Students with Autism – A Resource Guide for Schools
This guide provides resources and information about working with Autistic students. It provides an overview of Autism, the educational implications of Autism, and detailed suggestions for instructional approaches and strategies for classroom management, communication development, and social skills. For more information, please view Teaching Students with Autism.
|Individual Education Planning for Students with Special Needs
This resource guide is an updated version of the 1996 Ministry of Education resource guide Individual Education Planning for Students with Special Needs. It provides information and strategies that align with professional practice and current legislation. The guide is designed for teachers involved in developing and implementing Individual Education Plans (IEPs). For more information, please view Individual Education Planning for Students with Special Needs.
|Intellectual Disabilities Instructional Support Planning Process
A resource document created by the BC Ministry of Education. For more information, please view Intellectual Disabilities Instructional Support Planning Process.
The Role of the School Psychologist
|To view the 2017-2018 Handbook of Procedures for the Graduation Program (V3), please click here.|
|BC New Curriculum|
To learn more about Curricular Competencies, please click here.
The core competencies along with literacy and numeracy foundations and essential content and concepts are at the centre of the redesign of curriculum and assessment. To review the Core Competencies, please click here.
|Transforming Inclusive Education
Winner of SSHRC’s 2016 Storytellers’ Challenge. To watch the full video, please click here.
Teaching and Empowering ALL Students. Click here to read more.
|Resources to Support Inclusion
For a full list of resources, please visit learnsomemoore.com.
|Individual Education Plan|
|Individual Education Plan Order
Oct 2, 2017 – Individual Education Plan Order. BC Ministry of Education. Download the Individual Education Plan Order here.
|Individual Education Plans – Shelley Moore
This page is to support schools and districts align their IEPs with the shift in the new curriculum. Click here to read more.
|The IEP Process | Inclusion BC
To learn more about the IEP process and how to plan for your child’s education, please click here.
Inclusive Education Resources – Province of British Columbia